With the summer months now well and truly upon us, sometimes a hot morning latte is just a little too much. For your daily caffeine fix with a summery twist, iced-coffee is the new cool drink. Very popular in America, we sought out some of the best tips and tricks to enjoy the perfect iced coffee.
1. Use an AeroPress: This nifty device is one of the world’s favorite ways to make coffee. For the perfect iced coffee simply use as directed, but do so over ice. The flavor of an AeroPress coffee is clean and true, whether poured hot into a mug or over cubes.
2. Cold-brew your coffee: To cold-brew at home, mix together fresh-ground coffee and water (try 1 part coffee to 5 parts water) and steep, sealed, overnight. The next day, strain well, pour over ice and milk and enjoy.
3. Add condensed milk: Black-coffee drinkers will cringe at the very thought of sweetening, yet the vast majority of people (65% of coffee drinkers in the UK) take their coffee with milk and/or sugar. And even those who don’t normally sweeten hot coffee will often add sugar to iced coffee. Want to be convinced? Add a spoonful of sweetened condensed milk to your iced coffee.
4. Shake it: Pour a shot of espresso or strong coffee into a shaker with big, dense ice cubes. Add whatever sugar or milk you normally take, and shake. When you strain it into a glass, it comes out rich and foamy. You should serve this without ice, so it won’t get watered down if you take your time sipping.
5. Add a twist: Believe it or not, citrus and coffee actually go pretty well together. Pour espresso over a couple slices of lime and some ice and you’ve got yourself a Guillermo. Have it black or with a dash of milk — it even works with hot coffee.
6. Add booze: If you’ve already broken out the shaker and limes, you might as well raid the alcohol cabinet while you’re at it. Rum and brandy are natural friends of coffee and there are now a number of well-made coffee liqueurs, such as Firelit Spirits Coffee Liqueur.